Wednesday 15 April 2009

Beautiful Birds (5): A Post on Puffins





Puffins off RSPB Reserve at Bempton Cliffs near Flamborough Head, Yorkshire
Spring 2009

Puffins have to be one of my favourite birds, as those who follow my blog will have realised! We thought we might be too early for them this year, but it was a delight to find that they had come in from the sea, and were busy preparing their nests on the rocky ledges. The left-hand puffin in the second photograph has grass stalks in her beak, which you may just make out if you click to enlarge the picture.

I thought the name 'Puffin Post' rang a bell, and wondered if I was confusing it with Arthur Ransome's 'Pigeon Post'. A quick 'Google' confirmed that there is indeed a children's magazine called 'Puffin Post'. Curiously, there is even a competition mentioned on the site which has - presumably as a prize - the chance to 'go behind the scenes' at Bempton. I suddenly begin to feel 40-something going on 4!

6 comments:

Mistlethrush said...

Adorable photos!

April Lorier said...

Maybe that's one of the reasons God made so many whimsical creatures for us to enjoy. All of us should feel 40 going on 4! I wrote a post on one of my other blogs called "The Tragedy of Growing Up" - and I do feel it's a tragedy. Grandkids can keep us from growing old too soon, don't you think?
Your puffins are just delightful, Caroline! Yes! I'd be out there photographing them, too!

Mary said...

These are such good photos! They are such strange birds and so fascinating to see.

Seth said...

Great photos! Fascinating.

Crafty Green Poet said...

beautiful photos, I love puffins too.

poefusion said...

Delightful post. I love your Puffin pictures. They're beautiful birds. They sort of remind me of penquins. Are they related in some way? Hope all is well with you. Have a nice day.