Tuesday 25 January 2011

Prizes and Commendations (2): The T.S. Eliot prize

My thanks to Matt Merritt at Polyolbion for alerting me to the coverage of the prize ceremony on Jane Holland's blog, here. Derek Walcott won the prize with his Faber collection, White Egrets.


In case you have not caught up with the news reports, you can read The Guardian's feature here

Little Egret, Penclawdd, Gower, Wales, UK

 I recall a happy evening at Hay some years ago, when Derek Walcott answered questions and delivered his poetry to a packed auditorium. I was particularly pleased to have bought a copy of his 'Omeros' in the Poetry Bookshop that afternoon.


Above and below: Little Egret, Divari Lagoon, Pylos, Greece


N.B. My photos are not linked to locations or symbolic representations in the book, but it seemed a good opportunity to appreciate these fine birds! The Egretta alba, the Great White Egret, has black feet and a yellow bill, unlike the Little Egret on one leg in the Divari Lagoon photo. 

2 comments:

Bob Scotney said...

Thanks for the egret photos, Caroline. I've seen them in the USA but not the UK/

Unknown said...

Lovely shots and lovely homage to this great bird!
I always love seeing Egrets :)