Saturday 18 January 2014

Poetry at Sutton Hoo ~ a Day with Dr Sam Newton on Beowulf

Model of the Sutton Hoo helmet ...

I spent today at Sutton Hoo, site of the incredible Anglo-Saxon ship burial. The site is in the care of the National Trust. The study day, 'An Introduction to Beowulf and Sutton Hoo', was put on as part of the Wuffing Education scheme by Dr Sam Newton, who has written extensively on the subject.

It was an excellent way to spend a January Saturday, and I came home wanting to read Seamus Heaney's translation of the tale and hoping to re-watch the Michael Wood programme, 'In search of Beowulf' (which I believe is only available on YouTube). I also want to explore some of the Anglo-Saxon landmarks in my locality.


This is the framed view of the site, looking down from the level of the mounds to the River Deben in Woodbridge. 


This was my view as I came out from the Old Court to go home. You can make out one of the burial mounds between the trees. 


No comments: